Livingston was originally part of the St. Helena District. In 1832, St. Helena was divided in half and the Louisiana legislature created Livingston Parish. It was named for Edward Livingston, a prominent statesman who served as a senator, a minister to France, and Secretary of State under Andrew Jackson.
By 1835 several small industries were thriving in the area, notably sawmills and brick factories. The timber industry brought the railroads through in the early part of this century, changing commercial and residential patterns. With the construction of modern highways and the encroachment of metropolitan Baton Rouge, Livingston Parish continues to attract residents as well as businesses. The parish is located between the state capitol at Baton Rouge and the city of New Orleans.
Hurricane Katrina had a dramatic effect on the population in Livingston Parish. Many displaced families of the affected Parishes have moved into the area and as a result, the population of the parish has increased significantly. On June 6, 2007, the Census Bureau published a report “Special Population Estimates for Impacted Counties in the Gulf Coast Area” which shows a population increase for Livingston Parish to 111,863 as of January 1, 2006.