Livingston is a town in and the parish seat of Livingston Parish. The communities of Doyle and Livingston, combined in 1955 to create the Town of Livingston. Doyle was established northeast of present day Livingston, located on Hog Branch off of present day North Doyle Road but moved when the Railroad was built from Baton Rouge to Hammond and the community was re-located in 1901 by the McDonald Family.
Livingston was started by the Lyon’s Lumber Company in 1916 as a logging community on 63 acers just west of Doyle to support their logging industry and timber mill in the Garyville, Louisiana, located south of Livingston on the Mississippi River. Therefore making Garyville and Livingston sister cities. When Livingston was built there was a house on every lot, a board walk in front of every home and water wells drilled on every corner so every home would have access to running water.